If you are a construction professional in the GCC considering a move in 2016, the bad news is, things are about to get tougher. As oil prices continue to fall, employers are becoming increasingly cautious in their recruitment plans and the cost of hiring the wrong person becomes more pronounced.
Today the priority for employers is to find the right match both in terms of skill set and cultural fit in order to make the correct hire rather than rush the recruitment process.
As a result, the interview and assessment processes adopted by construction firms are becoming more detailed.
Within the smaller construction companies, we have certainly seen the number of interview stages rise and an increase in the adoption of competency-based interviews. For larger companies, it is much more common to expect skills based testing or an assessment centre.
If you are a construction professional looking to make a career move, there are some things you should do to increase your chances of success:
1. Prepare and research for competency interview formats
2. Brush up on your presentation skills
3. If working with a recruitment agency, ask your recruitment consultant about the format of the
interview process so you are clear on what to expect on the day
4. Be prepared to be tested
5. Make sure you have researched the company fully and demonstrate this during the interview
6. Ensure you have logical, well thought out answers if asked, “why do you want to work for this company?”
Cooper Fitch has recruited construction professionals in the UAE and GCC since 1997. As the region's leading construction recruitment agency, we are happy to offer advice to any construction professionals that are considering their career options.
Thank you for your enquiry. A member of our team will be in touch with you shortly.